Sunday, October 10, 2010

WINE LESSONS 101

Why drink beer and liquor when you can have the health benefits from drinking wine? 

 My high school chum’s first business venture compelled me to try wines. It was my first time to have gone to a wine bar. Much to my surprise, I actually liked the concept.
I always thought that the wine glass that we use is shaped differently for aesthetic purposes. Little did I know that it was shaped and designed as such to compliment the wine’s flavor.

Red wine’s glass is supposed to have a broader bowl to increase the oxidation and subtly alter the wine’s flavor and aroma.

White wine on the other hand is best served slightly oxidized so as not to mask its delicate quality. The glass bowl for this will be less broad.

Champaign is best served using a glass called Champaign Flutes. The glass bowl is slimmer than that of the red and white wine to allow the bubbles to travel further making it more appealing.

I also noted that the reason why wine glasses are designed to have a stem,  not only does the stem make the glass easier to hold, but it is designed mainly to avoid finger tips on the bowl. It is said that body heat also affects the wine’s taste.


The probable reason why wines can be quite pricey compared to other beverages, is its delicate handling. In order to preserve and optimize the flavor, it requires a certain temperature. The wine bottle needs to be piled up in a slanted position so that the flavor will not stock up at the bottom of the glass.


After my brief wine orientation, I am now ready for some action in GESTIX wine bar. 
  





For a novice, I find red wine too strong. I guess it pays to have a "wine connoisseur" around to help you with your selection.  I finally settled to a light and sparkling bottle of Soleil Sparkling Rose.


The food line up compliments the wine selection. The menu list is very interesting and the food are plated attractively…I felt so happy just looking at it… and was more delighted when it met the standards of my discriminating taste buds.


CHICKEN WINGS
                                                
Bruscheta de Mare


CHERRY TOMATOES
The combination of mood music subtly playing in the background well lit dining and well designed seating areas makes GESTIX wine bar a definite must try. The cozy ambiance provides great venue for conversations because it allows you to talk without having to compete with the surrounding noise.

For those of you who wish to try GESTIX wine bar, it is located at the 2F of Citylite Place Bldg Ortigas Home Depot Complex 1 Julia Vargas Ave Cor Meralco Ave.


No comments:

Post a Comment